phpPhotos is an on-the-fly photos album generation written in PHP. Its main goal is to be easy to use and to allow drag and drop publication of your digital photos on the web. Here is a short list of features:
- You can browse the directories containing your photos (a directory is called an album).
- You can see a diaporama of a given album.
- You store on the server your original photos (you can use it as a backup).
- Thumbnails and low resolution photos for the diaporama are generated on-the-fly (there is currently no cache).
- In diaporama mode, the date and time of the photo are displayed, as well as a comment if any. The comment is read from the EXIF header in the COMMENT tag (I use digiKam or gwenview which both can save user's comments in the EXIF tag).
It has been tested with:
- server side: PHP4, PHP5, apache, easyPHP, free.fr provider
- browser side: firefox, konqueror, safari, internet explorer 6
phpPhotos requires a web server with PHP support:
- GD support must be enabled (on the fly image resizing)
- EXIF support is optional, it enables the display of the date, time and comments of the photos
Download and installation
Installation is just a matter of copying the php scripts on your web server. The configuration parameters are stored in the file phpPhotosConfig.php. Especially you should modify the $photoBaseDir variable to point to the base directory which contains your albums. Also you can customize the appearance tuning the provided style.css.
The on-the-fly resizing of large photos can fail. The PHP function imagecreatefromjpeg() may require to allocate a large amout of memory, which can be above the limit set in your PHP configuration. If your provider allows it, you can solve this issue adding the following line in phpPhotosResize.php (free.fr does not allow it):
** v0.7 - 03/11/2007 - make the generated XHTML code and the CSS compliant with the w3c standard, add icons ** v0.6 - 14/10/2007 - add support for zoom in diaporama mode - some artwork ** v0.5 - 7/10/2007 - add some comments in phpPhotosConfig.php - show phpPhotos version in credit link - fix for buggy internet explorer 6 - update phpPhotos homepage link - fix for EasyPhp: check for invalid array indexes - check if exif functions are available - code cleanup ** v0.4 - 30/08/2007 - BUGFIX (typo) in phpPhotoResize.php - more consistent naming - fix for PHP5 - better layout - code cleanup ** v0.3 - 28/08/2007 - add a side bar containing thumbnails in the diaporama view - split code into browser part and diaporama part ** v0.2 - on-the-fly creation of thumbnails ** v0.1 - Initial version